Monday, 2 March 2009

My New Boat















In July 2005, I bought the boat pictured above.
I found it on the internet.
It was in Mexico.
So I flew to Mexico to look at it.

I fell in love with it immediately.
It is made of ferrocement.
A ferrocement boat has a 'ferro' (steel) frame, like this
http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/boat-diy-2.jpg

which is then covered with cement, like this

There are 4 materials for building boats:
wood
steel
fiberglass
ferrocement

Ferrocement boats are the cheapest because people think it is crazy to build a boat out of cement.
But actually ferrocement boats are very strong and because they are heavy they are good for crossing oceans.
Also ferrocement boats are cheap and easy to repair.

Have you ever been to Gamagori?
The boat in front of the small aquarium is made of ferrocement. It is called ERIKA and it sailed around the world.